One step closer to home.

Actually not a step but a bounding leap!

 Monday night Jemma moved from the ICU part of the NICU. The way her NICU is set up, there are Five sections ( they call them neighborhoods). Four of them are ICU units and the fifth is called the River ( that unit focus is growing, feeding and getting the babies ready to go home), Jemma started in the “Garden”. It was hard to leave, we loved her nurses and it felt comfortable and familiar. We got moved rather quickly and without ceremony.

Jemma started to have goopy drainage in her eye and the cultures came back positive with bacteria growth. She doesn’t have a eye infection but there’s bacteria present in her eye goop. We all have Bactria on our skin but that doesn’t mean we have a skin infection. Because of her eye and her being in ICU they had to put her in isolation. Sooooo gloves gowns and scrub downs. Jemma didn’t really need to be in the ICU and this could potentially make another baby very sick so it was decided the best thing to do was move her quickly. When we got to river she was put in a twin room and had a room mate. It was another Korean baby 😁 thank god that family’s last name was Kim and not Park......

Her night nurse Chu is Korean as well. Nurse Chu told us she was specifically given the assignment because of the Korean babies. Nurse Chu informed the staff that while indeed Mrs. Parks just happened to be Korean she is very clearly American and Parks isn’t a Korean last name. 😳🤓 confused so was the staff, apparently.

Today October 9 Jemma was moved to a private room with a window.  I am pretty sure we jumped the list to get a private room.... We have been the talk of the NICU because of our harrowing delivery and Jemma is considered quite the little darling. Nurses love to dress her and exclaim she’s like a little doll. There is much disappointment and jealousy over who gets Jemma that shift. I would be lieing if I said I wasn’t a little smug about all the love and doting my daughter receives.

At last today a dream of my heart was fulfilled. I was able to bring Jemma to my breast. Like everything Jemma does she did fantastic! For a first attempt it went perfectly. She latched after five minutes. The experience wore her out very quickly but it definitely a positive experience for everyone. I think it will be easier for her once her feeding tube is in her nose and her pressure cannula  is gone. I love our pip squeak so much and it warms my heart that we can finally really bond. The nature of the c-section and the ensuing complications I had, shattered many dreams of mine and ideas of what I thought our birth experience was going to be. I have had a difficult postpartum and tons of anxiety over wether or not she would be able to or want to breast feed. Thankfully in all the craziness that is our life right now my milk production and breast feeding doesn’t seem to be an issue.

Jemmas measurements
Weight 1510 g
Length 38cm
Head 27cm
90 more g and cpt SP moves to a room crib and than we have all access to her !

Right now Jemma looks like a bobble head doll and it’s beyond adorable .

Comments

Popular Posts